Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Week 3.5…

First off, some promised pictures of my trip to Murten:




I know it's been a while, but I've been busy. I went to an interesting concert in Luzern last Wednesday. It was Modern Classical (I know, sounds strange right?) and a student orchestra played Passacaglia für Orchester op. 1 by Anton Webern; Core, Turn, and Boost by Dieter Ammann (very good and dramatic. He wrote Boost in 2000/01 and Core in 2002. This was the premier of Turn); Variationen für Orchester op. 30; then finally Le Poème de Extase op. 54 by Aleksandr Skrjabin. Very, very good.

Then I went with my exchange student friends to Neuchâtel (Neuenberg) on Saturday and on Sunday to Interlaken with my host "Nonna" and host "Nonno" where there was a mineral expo. Today I went to Thun to the Thunersee (Lake of Thun). Between a trip to the bookstore for a copy of "Grimms Märchen" (Grimms' Fairytales), of which I did not find a complete version, and meeting Zöe (a future exchange student) and having various guests, I've been pretty busy here. Also started watching some TV and a movie with my host parents to hear some "normal" German, and not the crazy Swiss kind. German school is fine; I know the first day I start normal classes (October 18). I attempted to hold a conversation in German with my host father today. You don't realize how much of your vocabulary is slang and all the different tenses until you try to speak another language. Really. I understand more than I can speak right now.

And now.... Pictures!

The view of Neuchâtel from the Prison Tower


Inside the Prison Tower


Random door


The Church at the Châlet (I think that's spelt right)


Fellow Exchange Students in my German Course
From Left to Right:
Me, Indigo, Whitney, Helena, Brandon, Ian, Cristina, Veronica, and Bryanne
(Missing: Nick and Chris)


Crazy Statue


I'm a Princess!


A Beach on the Lake of Neuchâtel (the water was surprisingly warm...)


Sorry, no pictures of Luzern (the camera wouldn't fit in my bag so I had to use my iPhone. Those won't be available for a while) or Thun (because I didn't know we would be going). Pictures of Neuchâtel are Veronica's (my camera died), and I am most grateful to her for them.

Over and out!

3 comments:

  1. Very nice, Val! Good to put a few faces to the names as well. So why was the "random door" painted that way? were there others? very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No idea, but the whole house was like that. There was also a street with hot air balloons drawn (painted?) on it.

    How am I cute????

    ReplyDelete